Thursday 20 May 2010

Shit happens.................

And after last weeks rant in my blog that's exactly what my friend Jim said in a very kindly e mail to me!! You know what? He's right - there are very few pubs/ restaurants that open that don't have a service from hell... we had ours and it's over with now! In fact at our first Curry night at The White Hart last Friday we received loads of compliments both about the curries and our normal menu - also the fantastic new interior. Business is continuing to build - slowly but surely, and tomorrow night we have our first live music evening with Jallion - folkie/blues....... should be interesting!!

A little more staff training has ensured everyone is singing from the same song sheet and a lovely new (very tall) chef is on site; Martyn. He seems to really understand want we want and is delivering beautifully. Web site designers have been urged to get both the Victoria's and the White Hart sites up and running, delayed as they needed text from me and photo's but we are three parts there now. The Hotel bedrooms are almost ready, just a little bit more painting and we have to buy even more bloody pictures..................
Business at the Vic is really excellent - lots of couples enjoying romantic breaks whilst its still not the 'season'. The Victoria's 'Hobbit House' has the carpet laid next week - so only the furniture to buy and we should be good to go in terms of B & B mid June (ish).

There's just one small hiccup at the moment - and that's I'm back from seeing my consultant in Southampton with yet another rotten chest infection, so am typing this propped up in bed listening to a fabulous Leonard Cohen CD. As I said to my GP this morning, over my dead body (not literally of course - far too soon for that) am I going back into hospital - have far more chance of getting better out of those things.............

Now all my life I've never been one too sit back for too long bemoaning my lot without doing something about things - so yesterday in the throes of being crap again I made a conscious decision to make my life better........ big discussion with gorgeous SOH in making sure;

1) We BOTH get a better work / life balance (not 1 day off in 7 weeks like just gone)
2) I use the time management skills that Portsmouth City Council paid for me to learn - and then get SOH to use them as well..................
3) Eat healthier - we all know when we're overdoing the eating and its not helping my chest being so overweight
4) Off the booze again - its all crap calories...... oopps, can I say that as a pub landlady??? lol
5) Get fitter.............. now THIS IS where it gets interesting!!!!!!

Because Reg (not his real name - but he doesn't want to be identified at this stage - just in case I'm his 1st failure!! - I'm joking.....) is my new personal trainer!!! Yes, you read right - I'm going to have my very own personal trainer visit me twice a week and help me get back in shape - that's if my GP agrees I won't expire doing so..........!! So that is why I put a picture of a rainbow at the start of this blog post - Reg is going to help me get to the end of the rainbow - out of the grey sky's and helping me get to the pot of gold. ....................................Carpe Diem!!

Next post I'll tell you all about our fabulous wedding present trip of lunch on the Orient express - what a day!! Till then I'm turning off the laptop - and giving my full attention to the lovely Leonard - might even snooze! Night all............... x

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Liz
Hope your feeling better soon..poor you, I always read your blog Liz but feel I need to comment and say "well done for being so positive" I dont know how you do it, you are an inspiration to me, I too have the "bloody weight" issue, asthma and a "dealing with the public" business to run..its hard to keep that smile going isnt it?
With a personal trainer on board you will soon be skipping up Fore Street...
GO FOR IT LIZ.
Sally. x (Sues sis)
ps hope Archie recovered from meeting the mad dalmatian pup.x

Lisa said...

Go Liz !!

I look forward to hearing more about Reg over the coming weeks......